Saturday, March 19, 2011

Indonesian S'more

I am making Indonesian S'more tonight for dinner in honor of my father who passed away two weeks ago yesterday.  This dish is from my father's birthplace of Indonesia and was the first (or maybe the only) dish he taught me how to make.  It is a food that is reminiscent of the meals made in the homes of my Indonesian-Dutch relatives. In fact it reminds me of my Opa's house almost as much as green shag carpet does.  Serve S'more over sticky white rice for a meal that is so quick and easy to make.  If you like your food spicy, add Sambal.  Sambal is a traditional hot sauce that is available in Asian specialty stores or larger supermarkets.  And/or I will post a recipe for Sambal soon.   Just remember; a little Sambal goes a long way.  Or as my Opa would say, "Meisje, niet teveel."  He calls my sister and me "Meisje" and I think "niet teveel" means "not too much" in Dutch.

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 chicken thighs, bone-in but skin removed
  • 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup Kecap Manis ABC sweet sauce (sweet soy sauce found at specialty Asian groceries) you could substitute with teriyaki sauce but it's not quite the same.
  • 1 cup water
  • red pepper flake and salt to taste
In a big skillet or wok heat butter on medium-high until melted.  Brown chicken thighs on all sides then add onions and mushrooms.  Heat onion and mushrooms until onions start to caramelize but stir frequently to prevent burning.  Add garlic then water and deglaze the bottom of the pan (scrape the yummy bits off the bottom.)  Turn heat to medium-low and add ABC Sauce.  Stir well and simmer covered until chicken reached 160 degrees.  Uncover and simmer until sauce thickens to your preference and chicken temp reaches 165 degrees.  If sauce ends up too thick just add a little more water. Simmer time will really depend on how big your chicken thighs are; should take between 15 and 20 minutes but I would start checking the temp around 10 minutes.  Serve over sticky rice*. 

*for sticky  rice:
  • add one quarter-again the amount of water called for on the package directions (example: 1 cup of rice usually calls for 2 cups of water; you would use 2 1/2 cups of water)
  • soak rice in the water used to boil it for 20 minutes before starting to cook it
  • stir rice once half way through cooking it. 

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo... Courtney... That sounds REALLY yummy. I can see a trip to our Asian market in my near future. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete